5 (frugal) ways to get your plants and garden ready!
Winter is normally a quiet time in the garden. But now that spring is here, you’ll likely be eager to get caught up in the frenzy of seed-sowing, growing, and nurturing your garden as it comes to life!
The gardening season is upon us and horticulturists are thriving with the thought of blooming flowers and blossoming trees. Fortunately, getting and maintaining a beautiful garden doesn’t require you to break the bank!
To get you started on spring gardening, check out these tips:
- Clean your gardening tools: Give your tools a clean! Caring for your garden tools not only helps preserve them, but it also saves you money in the long run and prevents the spread of disease. Sharpening your tools will also improve their performance – they’ll be easier to work with and will give cleaner pruning costs.
- Clear up flower beds and borders: Have a general tidy up and remove dead leaves and other debris from your flower borders, lawns, and ponds. If the soil is manageable, dig a 5 cm layer of organic matter such as well-rotted manure, compost or recycled green waste into empty garden borders.
- Declare war on weeds: Weeds are only going to get bigger and strong as the growing season continues, so nipping them in the bud (literally) will save you time and expensive herbicides in the months ahead.
- Tend to your perennials: Many perennials can benefit from some attention at this time of year. Since these plants can add significant value to your home, consider treating these guys with a little TLC.
- Get planting!: Order summer-flowering bulbs (such as lilies, gladiolus, and ranunculus) to plant in spring for a colorful summer display! Check out our guide on how to grow lilies for a colorful and healthy plant!
If you want to have an expert help you start the process so you can enjoy a beautiful garden throughout the year, contact Enhanced Landscape Management. Serving Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, and all of the Conejo Valley, we’re experts on planting in our California climate. For all of your landscaping needs, we’re here!